Aston Martin – Vulcan
PREPARE FOR TAKE OFF
Introducing the Aston Martin Vulcan – a track-only super-car and our most intense and exhilarating creation to date.
Born out of extensive motor-sport experience – and using Aston Martin’s world-leading flair for design and engineering ingenuity – the 800-plus bhp, all-carbon fiber Aston Martin Vulcan promises truly extreme performance.
Explore the new standard in the ultra-high luxury super-car class…
- Using the learning from One-77, we have designed and created an all-new tub. This incorporates a new rear scuttle and tunnel for the integrated roll-cage and a new rear ‘doghouse’ sub-frame to package the transmission, suspension and increased loading from the rear wing.
- The use of Carbon Fibre for the whole chassis provides the perfect combination of a lightweight but incredibly stiff structure that provides a strong foundation with which to build Vulcan around it.
- Produced by Multimatic, the raw tub weighs around 180 kg, and is produced over four days by a dedicated team of 9 people in Canada. It passes into the ‘autoclave’ oven three times.
- Designed and developed in conjunction with Motorsport Partner, Aston Martin Racing, the unique engine is based around the architecture of the engine found in our GT3 race car, the naturally aspirated V12 has been enlarged to 7.0 and comprises a new block, pistons, liners, con-rods, crank – all controlled by a Cosworth ECU.
- The engine is located completely behind the front axle for better weight distribution and therefore dynamic performance.
- The engine will feature 3-position adjustable power outputs which allows the driver to unleash true performance potential as their track skills develop.
- The exhaust system is made from Inconel and Titanium for maximum weight save. The side exit exhaust design allows for the shortest exit from the car and ensures maximum rear down-force is generated by not fouling the rear diffuser.
- Use of the same materials is also carried over for the brackets (Titanium) and Heat Shield (Inconel).
- The Torque Tube remains key to the layout of all Aston Martins but is made 30% lighter through the use of Magnesium for the outer casing. Weighing just 9 kg the torque tube is also shorter due to the engine being further rearward in the body.
- Inside the Torque Tube sits an uprated carbon fibre Propeller Shaft to cope with high torque output and to deliver power immediately with minimal power loss.
- Supplied by world-renowned motor-sport transmission manufacturer Xtrac, the 6-speed trans-axle sequential gearbox is controlled by steering wheel-mounted paddles (not fixed on steering column).
- The 600E gearbox houses a straight-cut gear-set with drop gears to the crown wheel and pinion and, at 200+ mph, is geared for a higher top speed than our GT race cars (depending on tyre and down-force set up).
- Compared to a standard 600 gearbox the design for the Aston Martin Vulcan features a higher grade of steel for the gears as well as a unique set of gear ratios.
- The gearbox weighs only 70 kg and features a lightweight aluminium casing.
- The front suspension is comprised of a Double wishbone arrangement with anti-dive geometry operated via a push-rod mechanism.
- The rear suspension comprises Independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, again push-rod operated.
- The front and rear anti-roll bars are also adjustable.
- The dampers are of a 4-way adjustable design featuring Dynamic Suspension Spool Valve (DSSV) technology. These state-of-the-art valves enable both high and low speed bump and rebound to be adjusted independently on each individual damper.
Blue = (B)ump, Red = (R)ebound
- The rear dampers are horizontally opposed whereas the front dampers are mounted front to rear to enable weight save.
- The Aston Martin Vulcan features Brembo Carbon Ceramic Racing Discs (CCMR) providing phenomenal stopping power and feel:
– Front: 380 x 34 mm diameter
-Rear: 360 x 32 mm diameter
- Brembo Competition Lightweight Calipers – Silver anodized with red lettering:
– Front: 6-piston
– Rear: 4-piston
- Bosch M4 motorsport driver-adjustable ABS (11 positions)
- Controlled from the steering wheel
WHEELS & TYRES
- Supplied by motor-sport specialists APP-Tech, the wheels are a 10-spoke forged alloy in Satin Black in the following sizes:
– Front: 11.5 x 19
– Rear: 12.5 x 19
- All wheels feature a center-lock design enabling quicker wheel change track side while the forging production process helps keeps the wheels light but strong.
- Treaded Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires are fitted as standard in the following sizes:
– Front: 305/30 x 19
– Rear: 345/30 x 19
- The interior of the Vulcan features an FIA-compliant full roll cage. This cage provides maximum safety with the minimum amount of intrusion into the cabin. Made from aero-grade 15 CDV 6 Steel (a chromium-molybdenum-vanadium heat-treatable high strength steel) enabled us to produce a cage weighing only 32 kg (saving 6 kg than the thicker T45 gauge tube normally used for roll cages).
- The strength of the cage has enabled us to use thinner grade carbon in the roof pillars, this saving weight and lowering the center of gravity.
Seats and Seating Position
- Supplied by Recaro, the seats are full carbon fiber racing seats and are Frontal Head Restraint System (FHR) Compatible (compliant to FIA specification 8862). The seats feature an adjustable driver’s side and a fixed passenger side.
- Securing both driver and passenger/instructor is a Schroth 6-point Racing Harness.
Adjustable Pedal Box & Steering Column
- In addition to the fore and aft adjustable driver’s seat, to ensure a perfect seating position, Vulcan also features an adjustable AP Racing Pedal box and a steering column adjustable for both reach and height.
- The clutch pedal enables better control of the rear-mounted (5 1/2″ Sachs) competition clutch for manoeuvring and launch.
- A bespoke Carbon Fibre design designed and produced in conjunction with bf1systems. Designed in conjunction with Darren Turner, all key functions are grouped in a logical manner.
- These functions include; Starter Button, Neutral, Pit Lane limiter, Indicator, Flash-to-pass, Adjustable ABS and Traction control and Wipers.
- The Paddle shift controls are on the back of the wheel rather than steering column.
- The driver’s display is supplied via a Cosworth Omega dash and data acquisition system with data download port. Drivers will be able to display a wide range of vehicle performance data.
Vehicle Data Logger
- As part of the Driver Training Program, the Vulcan features a Cosworth alive DRIVE data acquisition system with in-car camera and USB download.
- This GPS-based video recording system provides a perfect driver training tool by allowing analysis and comparison of driver’s laps over time or compared to other drivers.
- The Vulcan is fitted with an FIA-spec fire extinguisher system with FIA approved operating system.
- The extinguisher comprises a 3-liter system.
- To allow easier in-car communication, an intercom will be integrated into both the driver’s and instructor/passenger crash helmets. The same intercom will also allow driver to pit wall communication.
- The front LED headlamps comprise Daytime Running Lights, Directional Indicator, Main Beam and Side Lights.
- At the rear, we have perfected a solution with which to put into production the unique ‘Light Blade’ lamps, first seen on the DP-100 Digital Concept Car. Despite its unique design this lamp still comprises a brake light and Directional Indicator.
- In addition, an FIA-approved rain light is situated in the center at the rear of the car.
Front and Side Screens
- The front wrap-around screen and side screens are made from hard-coated Polycarbonate. This design is also heated and features an anti-UV coating. Supplied by IsoClima, the benefits of using Polycarbonate instead of glass include:
– The amount of curvature in the design could not be achieved using glass
– Shatter resistant
– 50% weight save
– 250 times stronger than glass
Adjustable Traction Control
- The Aston Martin Vulcan features a motorsport-based Traction Control System supplied by Bosch. This system features 11 different positions and allows the driver to tune slip angle on track prior to system intrusion as part of their driver training program.
- Fuel is stored within an FIA-approved Fuel Cell with capacity for up to 120 liters. The cell is located within the carbon chassis structure for maximum safety.
On-board air jacks
- 4 on-board air jacks raise Vulcan to a height allowing all four wheels to be changed. The air jacks are operated by a inserting a high-pressure air-line to the rear of the car.
Aero Target Setting
In CFD Testing (Computational Fluid Dynamics) the car was run at the following two settings:
– 60 mm front ride height and 80 mm rear
– 40 mm front ride height and 100 mm rear (Braking)
- Aero balance front:rear is 41:59 at ride height
- Balance change of only 7% under braking
- Down-force at 100 mph is 324 kg
- Lift:Drag ratio is 2.3
- Total down-force at Vmax is 1362 kg
The aerodynamic balance has been set up to ensure minimal change in pitch sensitivity and balance either forward or back under braking or accelerating. This benign behavior enables more stable for driver feedback ensuring owners become confident with the additional levels of grip the downforce can generate.