Key Lime Cheesecake
- 2 cups (230g) crushed graham cracker crumbs (from 15 sheets)
- 3 Tbsp (39g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (113g) salted butter, diced into 1 Tbsp pieces and melted
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp (236) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp (8g) cornstarch
- 3 (8 oz) pkgs. cream cheese, softened well (but not melted)
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cup (160g) sour cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) fresh lime or key lime juice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (235ml) heavy cream
- 2 1/2 Tbsp (33g) granulated sugar
- Fresh raspberries or sliced strawberries, lime wedges, lime zest and fresh mint (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the outside of a 9-inch springform pan with a sheet of 18 by 18 heavy duty aluminum foil (make sure the foil has no holes, you don’t want any water to leak in). Add graham crackers and sugar to a mixing bowl and stir to combine, then pour in butter and mix with a fork until evenly moistened. Pour into prepared springform pan and press evenly into bottom and up the sides coming about 1-inch from the top. Bake in preheated oven 10 minutes, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- For the filling:
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Have a large roasting pan ready and boil about 4 quarts of water (you may not need all of it). In a small mixing bowl whisk together granulated sugar and cornstarch until well combined. Add cream cheese to a large mixing bowl, pour sugar mixture over top and using an electric hand mixer blend cream cheese until smooth (scrape down side and bottom of bowl occasionally throughout entire mixing process). Mix in eggs one at a time, mixing just until combined after each addition. Add sour cream and heavy cream and mix until combined. Mix in lime juice and vanilla. Tap bowl forcefully against countertop about 30 times to release any large air bubbles. Pour over cooled graham cracker crust. Place cheesecake in roasting pan then place roasting pan in oven and carefully pour in enough boiling water around cheesecake pan to reach halfway up the side of the cheesecake pan. Bake in preheated oven until cheesecake is nearly set but still jiggly in the center, about 60 – 65 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and chill in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
- For the topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl whip heavy cream using an electric hand mixer set on high speed until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar and whip until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a star tip and pipe over cheesecake just before serving. Garnish with berries, lime wedges, lime zest and mint if desired. Store cheesecake in refrigerator.